Hi! I’m Melissa. When I first started thinking about writing a book blog, I promised myself that I would inexplicably be myself. I sometimes think it’s hard to put yourself out into the world for fear of what people will think, or if they’ll like you, or if anything that you have to say will be meaningful to someone else. But then I was like…screw it. If I’m going to start a blog, I’m going to be transparent, honest and the most me I can be. So without further adieu—here are some tidbits about me.
1. I love fresh flowers. If I have a constant rotation of fresh flowers in my house, I’m a happy person. Side note: I get my flowers from grocery stores. I’m not a big spender on fresh flowers 😉
2. I have a wife and a dog that I literally can’t live without. Sometimes, I look at my dog and cry because I love her so much. Is that weird? (Don’t tell my wife that I don’t do the same for her).
3. I live in the best city on Earth. Well, I might be a bit biased, but Fort Collins is my love language and I can’t think of a better place to live.
4. I am obsessed with Instagram. Find me over at bookishfolk
5. I didn’t always love to cook, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to really love it. My favorite thing to make is anything that has to do with carbs because duh…
6. I have an BA in English Literature and a Masters in Elementary Education. I don’t really use either, but I’m glad I have both.
7. I own a small business called PAGEFIFTYFIVE where I sell honest, witty and sometimes awkward paper goods (FYI, boy, did it take me ages to come up with that tagline).
8. I’m an introvert by nature. I love my friends and hanging out with people, but I need serious recharging time, at home, preferably with a book in my face.
9. Along with that, I’m also a homebody. We bought a small house (and by small, I mean 700 square feet small. So like, really small) in the city and have spent the last 2 years renovated it. It’s a never- ending, exhausting process, but I couldn’t love my little house anymore if I tried.
10. I am proud to identify as an intersectional feminist and will fight like hell to make sure all people are supported, valued and given an equal place in our society.
11. I’m a tea drinker. I used to love coffee, but then my heart would feel like it was bumping out of my chest (similar to my younger days when I thought vodka mixed with red bull was a good choice), so I ditched the black nectar and stick with tea now. Still give me all the caffeine though.
12. I believe in magic. Not the flying, seeing through people, casting spells to turn you into a frog kind of magic (but I’m not saying that doesn’t exist either), but the kind of magic that happens when you meet someone for the first time and just know they will be in your life forever, or you sit on a bench in a park and read a book, or you take a road trip with your partner and see the world outside of your bubble. That kind of magic is what makes me tick.
13. I hate naps. I also hate summer. Can we still be friends?
14. I am obsessed with NPR and pretty much always have that, a podcast, or an audio book going all day long.
15. I’m a huge believer in living simple. We live in a small home, have 1 car (I wish we could go car-less, but we’re not that brave quite yet), I bike a lot, and we shop, play and work all within about a mile of our home. And I crave nature. The simple act of sitting outside, surrounded by mountains, makes me feel like I can take a deep breath. It’s an added bonus when camping in those said mountains is involved. It’s just those simple things…
16. And last (and maybe most importantly for a person creating a bookish blog), I am obsessed with books. I read mostly adult fiction, but dabble in YA, memoir and other genres without any qualms. I’m working on trying to like poetry, but so far, not so good. At 38, I’d say that sentiment is pretty set in stone. Also…I put my guard up when I read books by men. I don’t know why That’s probably something I definitely need to work on. But I love women authors and just suck them in like air.
So there’s a little bit about me and my life. Comment on this post and let me know a little something about you!